A sleep disorder is any disruption that you have when you’re trying to fall or stay asleep. Poor sleep can cause a number of challenges in your waking hours, including memory problems, lack of concentration, and fatigue. If you’re dealing with a sleep disorder, such as nightmares or sleepwalking, seek the help of a sleep doctor at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia, SC.
Common Sleep Disturbances
Two common sleep disturbances are nightmares and sleepwalking—also called parasomnias. In some cases, these disturbances happen concurrently. Nightmares are unpleasant dreams that can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. Sleepwalking is when you get up from bed and walk around while still sleeping. According to a study published by the Stanford Sleep Epidemiology Research Center, sleepwalking is an issue that affects about 3.6 percent of Americans. Both of these problems could have an impact on your well-being (both awake and asleep).
Possible Causes of Nightmares or Sleepwalking
Though the reason for sleep disorders like chronic nightmares and sleepwalking may not be definitive, there are a few possible causes to investigate:
- Odd sleep hours (often from working late night shifts).
- A recent trauma or stressful incident.
- Anxiety or an undiagnosed condition, such as a gastrointestinal problem or sleep apnea.
- A change in medication that causes problems when sleeping.
- Family history (sleepwalking may be an inherited issue).
Your Columbia, SC, sleep doctor can help you with your sleep problems. It starts with pinpointing the source of the problem, and then recommending an effective treatment plan. These are some treatments that could be of assistance:
- Polysomnogram (a test that monitors your activity while you’re sleeping).
- Review, consultation, and recommendations about medications.
- Establishing a more regular sleeping routine.
- Nutritional changes.
- Stress reduction measures.
See a Sleep Doctor
One of the most important things you can do for your overall health is to get sufficient sleep. If you’re experiencing nightmares or sleepwalking, you may have a problem that can be solved by a sleep doctor at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia, SC. Call (803) 251-3093 today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Richard Bogan.