Posts for tag: Nightmare
Your child may experience nightmares or bad dreams if they are under stress. For example, if they have just moved to a new school, or if they are being bullied, if they have had a recent illness, or if they have experienced the death of a loved one. If your child is having nightmares, you must know what to do to help. Dr. Richard Bogan and his team at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia SC can give you advice on helping your child with their nightmares.
Signs That Your Child May be Having Nightmares
Columbia SC parents whose children show the following signs may be having nightmares:
- Your child wakes up during the night or very early in the morning.
- Your child is frightened when they awake.
- Your child can describe the nightmare in detail.
- Your child asks for comfort from you.
- Your child is afraid to go back to sleep in case the bad dream recurs.
Helping Your Child Keep Nightmares at Bay
If your child is having nightmares, it’s a sign that they are under emotional stress and they need reassurance. You can help them in the following ways:
- Talk to them calmly in a gentle voice.
- Remind them that they are safe and that nothing can harm them.
- Tell them that you are there to protect them.
- Give them a hug or a back rub to help them relax.
- Remind them that the dreams are not real.
- Let your child choose a protective stuffed toy to sleep with.
- Help your child imagine a happy ending to their bad dream.
- Read or tell your child a comforting story before bedtime.
If you live in Columbia SC and would like to know more about how nightmares affect children and how to stop them, call Dr. Richard Bogan of Bogan Sleep Consultants at (803) 251-3093.