Do you need a sleep doctor in Columbia, SC? Are you wondering about what happens during a sleep study? Allow the doctors at Bogan Sleep Consultants to fill you in on what happens during a sleep study. One may prove beneficial to you if you're experiencing trouble sleeping.
What is a Sleep Study?
A sleep study is a test that records and measures different body functions while you sleep, including brainwaves. The most common type of sleep study is a polysomnogram. Your doctor may recommend that you undergo a sleep study to diagnose or rule out a sleep disorder, including sleep apnea.
How to Prepare for a Sleep Study?
A sleep study is painless and not something to worry about. Consider the following:
- It is usually an overnight test, so some comfortable pajamas are a must.
- Avoid any stimulants for a few hours before your test.
- Please consult with your doctor regarding any medications you take regularly in case they affect the test.
What to Expect During a Sleep Study?
Once you have arrived at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia, SC, to talk to a sleep doctor, you can expect the following to happen in your sleep study.
- You will be settled into a comfortable room with a bed.
- A sleep doctor or technician will apply small sensors or electrodes to different parts of your body, including your head, legs, and torso. These electrodes will be connected to long wires and these wires to a computer.
- A pulse oximeter will be attached to your finger or ear to monitor your oxygen throughout the night.
- The lights will be switched off, and you can go to sleep.
- Your body functions will be monitored by a healthcare technician overnight, and they will also take note of when you go to sleep.
- You can use the monitoring equipment to speak with your sleep doctor or technician if you need assistance.
- You will be woken up in the morning, and the technician will remove the electrodes or sensors.
- You may need to answer some questions or fill out some paperwork, and then you can head home or work.
- The results will not be immediately available.
Also, if you need to use the bathroom during the night, the technician will remove the monitoring equipment for you and then re-affix it when you are done.
If you need a sleep doctor in Columbia, SC, and would like to know more about what happens during a sleep study, then Bogan Sleep Consultants can help. You can reach us at (803) 251-3093 during office hours. If you need to call us after hours, our contact number is (803) 251-3093.