Is it time you turned to a sleep specialist?
A night of tossing and turning probably isn’t a significant cause for concern. Still, when you deal with sleep disturbances night after night, this could be a sign that it’s time to turn to our Columbia, SC, sleep doctors at Bogan Sleep Consultants to find out why you’re dealing with sleep problems and what to do about it.
Warning Signs of Sleep Problems
It’s important to recognize when your sleep issues are possibly due to a sleep disorder. These are issues you certainly don’t want to ignore,
- You are exhausted all the time and feel tired all day no matter how much sleep you’ve gotten
- You find yourself feeling drowsy or on autopilot while driving
- Your partner is complaining about your snoring and sleep disturbances
- You are noticing unexplained and unexpected weight gain (yes, weight gain could be a sign of sleep problems, which can lead to insulin resistance)
- You have elevated or high blood pressure
- You are more irritable and prone to mood swings
Types of Sleep Disorders
There are multiple sleep disorders, all with their own hallmark signs and symptoms. Some of the most common sleep problems our Columbia, SC, sleep specialists diagnose and treat include,
- Insomnia: when you have trouble falling or staying asleep
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: causes pauses in breathing throughout the night
- Hypersomnia: trouble staying alert or awake during the day
- Circadian rhythm disorder: a disruption in sleep-wake cycles
- Restless leg syndrome: intense urge to move your legs at night
There are more than 80 types of sleep disorders, so it’s nearly impossible to diagnose your sleep disorders without turning to our team for a sleep study. If your symptoms have been happening for the next three to four weeks and impact your daily routine, health, and work performance, it’s time to schedule a consultation with us.
How to Improve Your Sleep
While it’s important to see our team if you suspect that you have a sleep disorder, if you’re dealing with the occasional bout of insomnia or sleep issues, you may want to follow these proven strategies to help you achieve a better night’s rest,
- Stick to the same sleep-wake schedule every night, even on the weekends
- Create a cool, dark, and quiet sleep environment
- Only use your bed for sleep or intimacy (never for work)
- Create a pre-sleep routine to help you unwind and relax
- Power down all electronics two hours before bed
Are you dealing with sleep problems? Don’t put up with one more restless night. The Columbia, SC, sleep specialists at Bogan Sleep Consultants can provide you with the treatment you need. Book your evaluation at (803) 251-3093.