How a polysomnogram from your sleep specialist in Columbia, SC, can help you
A polysomnogram is a sleep study, designed to diagnose various sleep disorders. The study is extremely helpful to you and your sleep specialist, to find out how soundly you sleep.
The sleep specialists at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia, SC, provide a wide range of services and treatments related to sleep disorders, including polysomnography.
A polysomnogram works by measuring and recording your brain waves, oxygen levels, heart rate, breathing, and eye and leg movements.
The study is conducted in the sleep center, usually at night. It can also be conducted during the day for people who work at night and sleep during the day.
A polysomnogram is useful to diagnose sleep disorders, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea; your sleep is disrupted by repeatedly stopping and starting your breathing, due to a blocked airway.
- Periodic limb movement disorder; your sleep is disrupted due to repeated flexing and extending your legs during sleep.
- Narcolepsy; you experience sudden drowsiness or sleeping at all hours of the day.
- Chronic insomnia; you continually have difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep.
- REM sleep behavior disorder; you act out your dreams as you sleep.
After a polysomnogram is completed and a diagnosis is confirmed, your sleep specialist can discuss the best way to treat your specific sleep disorder.
If you have sleep apnea, your sleep specialist may recommend a CPAP or oral appliance. For other sleep disorders, medication and relaxation techniques can be helpful.
It's important to remember that you can do a lot to ensure you have a relaxing, restful sleep. Remember to:
- Limit caffeine intake
- Don’t eat large meals before bed
- Keep televisions and other blue screen devices out of your bedroom
You should also have a relaxing routine before bed, like a warm bath, or reading a book. The routine helps signal your body that it’s time for bed.
To learn more about a polysomnogram and other tests and services, call the sleep specialists at Bogan Sleep Consultants in Columbia, SC. You can reach them in the office by calling (803) 251-3093, so call now.